About St James The Great
Community, History, Worship.
A Welcome Message from the Reverend Colin Wilson
A very warm welcome to the Parish Church of St. James the Great, Gawsworth, within the Anglican Diocese of Chester. The walls of the nave were built of limestone in 1430 and the chancel and tower of pink sandstone in 1480. It is a place where time and eternity meet and where one can encounter both heaven and earth within our walls and worship. Most of our services are centred around the 1662 Book of Common Prayer and all are most welcome to join our Sunday worship and enjoy refreshments and fellowship afterwards in the Church Hall.
St. James the Great is home not only to our regular worshippers, but to all our many visitors. The Church is open every day and welcomes:
Those seeking peace and tranquillity in their busy lives.
Those who are heavy laden or who simply want time and space to pray, perhaps light a candle, and be silent.
Those who are on holiday, or who simply stumble across this sacred space.
Those of any faith, race, ethnicity, gender or spirituality.
We celebrate human diversity and are committed to seeking social justice and to preserving
God’s creation. The Bible teaches that every single human being is a child of God. We
therefore welcome all God’s children.
Reverend Colin Wilson, Rector of Gawsworth