GAWSWORTH'S ANCIENT MURALS
How the Ancient Murals were discovered in 1851
Fortunately, and in an unexpected manner, presented itself in the October of 1851, the year following, during the alteration and repairs of the building. The removal of the thick covering which so completely buried these remarkable works was a task requiring the greatest patience and caution. “The Doom,” or Last Judgement, was discovered on the east end, in the space between the window and the south wall, extending to the roof. It was of large proportions, being about 16 feet high, by 7 feet 9 inches wide.